My kids put each other down. My neighbors rush past one another with barely a nod. My colleagues talk to one another without looking up from their computer screens. I, too, am critical, avoid eye contact and value projects more than people.
But wait! What am I doing? What is my purpose?
I believe I was put on this earth to create community, to write, to teach, to parent, and to love well. So, in that case, I might as well slow down and get to it.
Yesterday, my friend sent me this link: Business Etiquette. It makes good sense, especially:
- #4 Focus on the Face, Not the Screen
- #5, Don’t Judge
- And I’d add #6 Don’t Rush
Sometimes I think my days should have themes. Perhaps —
- Monday is for in-depth writing.
- Tuesday is for kindness and courtesy.
- Wednesday is anti-procrastination day (thanks, Flylady!).
- Thursday is for teaching, training, networking.
- Friday is for more writing and creating community.
- Saturday and Sunday, rinse and repeat (and do the laundry).
I also want to return to living My Rules. I want Good Orderly Direction — GOD!
And just to keep myself accountable, for the next 10 days, I am going to post every day either here or at mbcoudal.com.
And my plan is to be less rushed at work and kinder at home; (yes, kinder at work and less rushed at home).
So, stop and smell the flowers in Riverside Park. That kind of thing.